Looking for camping cars you can rent in Korea? Book a package here! 🎉
- Car camping or cha-bak in Korean is a type of camping that’s both budget-friendly and hassle-free.
- If you’re looking for a camping car rental company in Korea, you’ll find one here! They have spacious vehicles for rent as well as camping supplies package that you can book at a discounted price.
- WAUG (와그) is the No. 1 activity platform from Korea. If you’re not a member yet, download the app here, sign up, and get a $3 or ₩3,000 discount coupon! 🥳
Explore more: Camping Car Rental Stores in Seoul: Vehicles & Supplies
Car Camping in Korea
South Korea is blessed with so many beautiful nature spots, so it’s no wonder why a lot of people who live here are lovers of the outdoors. From hiking, bungee jumping, and paragliding, to camping in a traditional tent and glamping, there are so many activities that locals do to get closer with nature! But what’s becoming increasingly popular these days is cha-bak or the car camping experience. (Cha-bak in Korean means to spend a night in a car.) It’s a trend among budget travelers that started a few years back but has attracted more people who are looking for contactless travel experiences amid COVID-19.
If you are searching for ways to explore Korea during this pandemic, or if you’re already considering to go car camping and are looking for the best rental companies, then read on. This guide has all the information that you’ll need, whether you want to rent a camping car or just the supplies.
How to Cha-bak in Korea: Camping Car & Supplies Rental Stores
Car camping in Korea is very easy to do and requires less planning and money. The traditional way of camping requires renting out a campsite for tents and/or RV, which can be difficult during weekends and peak seasons. However, with cha-bak, you only need to find a suitable flat area to park and set up the back section of your car for your air mat (mattress). Yes, this is pretty much what you need to do to enjoy car camping! But, of course, to make the experience more pleasant and memorable, you may want to add some decorations, speakers, camping chairs, and a grilling equipment! To learn more about the activity and get some inspiration, check out these chabak posts on social media:
Ready to make your car camping trip happen? Check out these options!
1. For those who need to rent a camping car
If you need to rent an SUV, here’s some great news: you won’t have to shell out a lot of money! On WAUG, you can book a Kia Carnival or Kia Ray here starting at ₩140,000. The rate covers the vehicle rental for 24 hours, and all you have to do is plan where to go. (Tips on planning below!)
You can rent this camping car in Korea anytime. Confirmation also only takes up to 1 business day, which is perfect for spontaneous travelers!
To learn more about this camping car rental option, click the button below. (First time to book on WAUG? You will receive an extra ₩3,000 or $3 discount coupon after signing up! 🎉 )
2. For those who need car camping supplies & equipment
If you already have an SUV, then you can just book camping supplies. Here are some packages that you can book:
- Car Camping
- Mat (1 pc.), Pillow (2 pcs.), Foam Mat (1 pc.), Woodroll Table (1 pc.), Chair (2 pcs.), Tarpaulin
- Mood Set
- Mini-table (1 pc.), Folding Box (56L), Lantern (1 pc.), Garland (1 pc.), Trunk Curtain (1 pc.), Indian Hanger (1 pc.), Light Bulbs
- Camp Fire Set
- Stove, Grill, Torch, Fuel, Cotton Gloves, Mini-burner, Cooking Utensils, Cooler (25L)
- Heating Set
- Butane Gas Heater, Carbon Monoxide Alarm, 5V Electric Mat, Battery
You can book the a car camping set below starting at only ₩16,000:
Where to go car camping in Korea
Now that you have information on where to rent your camping car and supplies, the next thing to discuss is where to actually go car camping! My good friend who recently came back from a cha-bak trip posted on his Naver blog a link to some of the best car park recommendations. Here’s the link: https://blog.naver.com/ap6663/222115127160 (It directs to a directory in Korean, but you can easily translate, if necessary!)
Some of the car park recommendations (전국차박장소추천) include sites in Yangpyeong (only less than an hour from Seoul), Suwon, Gimpo, and Incheon. My friend went to 항포낚시터 or Hangpo Fishing Site, which is a couple of hours away from Seoul. You can read about his fun experience and helpful tips here!
How to Book Your Car Camping Trip in Korea
If you’re not sure how to book camping packages, activities, and attractions online, just follow these 5 simple steps:
- Log in or sign up for WAUG here. (New users get extra $3 or ₩3,000 discount coupon after registering!)
- Proceed to the booking page of the Car Camping Package here.
- Select the date and provide other information.
- Check out using your debit or credit card.
- Once your transaction goes through, you’ll receive a confirmation on the WAUG app.
BONUS: Car Camping in Jeju
Featured images from @j__sla and @tkdgjswoo on Instagram.